How long does it take to find a tenant?

It’s hard to guarantee an exact time frame. Some properties rent the first day that they hit the market, while others may take a little longer. We generally find that if the property is priced accurately, and well presented, we can source quality tenants within a few days from advertising. In this regard it is important that your property is priced accurately in relation to the current market and we will advise you on this important matter. GO will ensure that you receive the best possible rental return, but at the same time alleviate any delay in the rental of your property.

How will you find me a tenant?

GO use a range of methods to secure a quality tenant for you. These will include our extensive tenant database, an online advertisement on We find this combination generates significant enquiry and provides us with the opportunity to select the most appropriate application for your property.

How do you qualify tenants?

There are two main criteria to consider when selecting a suitable tenant for your property; their ability to pay the rent and their ability to maintain your property in its current condition.

GO qualify all prospective tenants in relation to both these criteria. Our application form extracts all of the required information to qualify their suitability, we will reference check applicants and qualify the information provided by each tenant and discuss the information collected with you and, together, select the best tenant.

How do you guarantee that my property will not be damaged?

Even though every tenant’s application is screened very carefully, accidents do happen and there can be no guarantee that your property will not be damaged. Our team will conduct regular inspections to minimise any problems that may arise. Routine inspections generally take place three months after a tenant moves in, and twice each year thereafter.

As the owner of the property you can be present for inspections if you wish. Periodic inspections allow us to check on the condition of the property and report any required maintenance and repairs to you as early as possible.

How are maintenance and repairs handled?

Minor repairs are handled by your property manager, and we will discuss a cost limit on these repairs at the start of the tenancy management. For any larger repairs quotes will be organised and discussed with you prior to moving forward.

Urgent repairs, regardless of cost, may be required by law to be acted upon immediately as legislated in the Residential Tenancy Act.

How often will I hear from you once my property is rented?

GO will liaise with you to determine your preferences regarding both the frequency and method of our contact with you once your property has been rented. We ensure our communication keeps you updated without distracting you unnecessarily.

What happens when tenants do not pay their rent?

In today’s harsh economic climate tenants sometimes run into hardship paying their rent. Even after passing the most careful tenant selection, this risk is still present. When a tenant is in arrears we will contact them via telephone, email and SMS in accordance with our strict ZERO TOLERANCE POLICY and procedure for rental arrears. Our experience is that a tenant can’t hide from our ZERO TOLERANCE procedures, and they’ll either pay the rent or vacate the property. It is our objective at all times to minimise any loss to you the owner, that’s why we enforce these actions rigorously.

When can I increase my rent?

It must be at least 6 months since the tenancy started or the rent increased.Rent cannot be increased during a fixed term agreement unless it is stated in the agreement and even then 2 months’ notice (in writing) must be given. Rent can be increased in a periodic agreement by giving 2 months’ notice (in writing).

  • While the property is vacant, do I still pay management fees?
  • When renting…
  • You must
    • pay the rent on time
    • keep the property clean and undamaged and leave it in the same condition it was in when you moved in (fair wear and tear excepted)
    • abide by the terms of the tenancy agreement
    • respect your neighbours’ right to peace and quiet
  • Moving in Tenancy agreement
    A General tenancy agreement (Form 18a), also called a lease, is a legally binding written contract between you and the lessor/agent. It must include standard terms and may include special terms (e.g. keeping pets, pest control).
     You and the lessor/agent must sign the agreement and you should be given a copy.
  • Period of tenancy agreement:
    • Fixed term agreement – has a start date and an end date and you agree to rent the property for a fixed amount of time (e.g. 12 months)
    • Periodic agreement – when you agree to rent the property for an unspecified amount of time (there will be a start date but no end date)
  • Bond
    A rental bond is a security deposit you pay at the start of a tenancy and is lodged with the RTA. The lessor/agent must not hold your bond. Once the bond is paid the lessor/agent must give you a receipt and complete a Bond lodgement (Form 2) which you must sign. The lessor/agent must lodge the bond with the RTA within 10 days. You will receive notification from the RTA once the bond has been lodged.
  • Bond increases
    Your bond can be increased if your rent is increased. It must be at least 12 months since the last increase and you must be given 1 month’s notice.
     Extra bond money must be lodged with the RTA.
  • Rent
    Generally you will be asked to pay rent in advance before, or when, you move in.You can’t be asked to pay more rent until it has been used up.
  • For a fixed term agreement: a maximum of 1 month’s rent in advance
  • For a periodic agreement: a maximum of 2 weeks rent in advance
  • Rent increases
    It must be at least 6 months since the tenancy started or the rent increased.
     Rent cannot be increased during a fixed term agreement unless it is stated in the agreement and even then 2 months notice (in writing) must be given.
     Rent can be increased in a periodic agreement by giving 2 months notice (in writing).
  • Rent decreases
    Rent decreases may occur when there is a drop in the standard of the property; if there is a decrease in services provided (e.g. the availability of car parking) or if a natural disaster (e.g. flooding, fire) makes the property partially unfit to live in.
  • Water usage
    You can be charged full water consumption costs only if the lessor meets a specific set of conditions. Visit our website for more details.
  • Electricity/gas/phone/internet
    Check your tenancy agreement – in most cases you will need to arrange connection.

  • Entry condition report
    The lessor/agent must give you an Entry condition report (Form 1a).
     It records the condition of the property at the start of the tenancy and is an important document if there is a dispute about the condition of the property when you move out. You must complete it and return a signed copy to the lessor/agent within 3 days. The lessor/agent must give you a copy of the final report within 14 days.
  • During a tenancy
  • Maintenance
    You are responsible for looking after the property and keeping it, and any inclusions (like the oven), clean. The lessor/agent is responsible for ensuring the property is fit to live in and in a good state of repair. They must also make sure it complies with any health and safety laws.
  • Repairs
    The lessor/agent generally carries out any repairs or organises someone to do so. You should not carry out repairs without written consent. When entering the property to fix the problem the lessor/agent must comply with the appropriate entry notice period.
     If you or your guests damage the property, you may have to pay for the repairs.
  • Fixtures
    Fixtures can only be added with the lessor/agent’s written consent and they do not have to agree to the request if they give a good reason.
  • What to do in an emergency
    If the lessor/agent or nominated repairer listed on your agreement cannot be contacted, you can arrange for a qualified person to carry out emergency repairs, to a maximum value of 2 weeks rent. If you pay the repairer you will need to give all receipts to the lessor/agent who must pay you back within 7 days. Keep copies of all receipts. Check your agreement to clarify what is meant by an emergency repair.
  • Smoke alarms
    By law, owners of all houses and units in Queensland must install at least one working smoke alarm. You and the lessor/agent have responsibilities regarding any smoke alarms on the property. Visit for more details.
  • Inspections and viewings
    Routine inspections are often carried out every 3 months to ensure the property is well cared for and there are no maintenance or health and safety issues.
     The lessor/agent may also need to enter the property for repairs or a viewing if it is being put up for sale. In most cases they must give you an Entry notice (Form 9) before they can enter. However, the lessor/agent may enter in an emergency or if you verbally agree with the entry. Entry must occur at a reasonable time. Visit our website for more details.
  • Problems
  • If you do something wrong
    If you breach the agreement, the lessor/agent can issue a Notice to remedy breach (Form 11).
    Example: you fall more than 7 days behind in rent or do not keep the property in the agreed condition.
     If you don’t fix the problem you may be given a Notice to leave (Form 12) by the lessor/agent.
  • If the lessor/agent does something wrong
  • If the lessor/agent breaches the agreement, you can issue a Notice to remedy breach (Form 11).
    Example: the lessor/agent fails to keep the property well maintained or enters the property without the correct notice.
  • Resolving problems
    Good communication is the key to resolving most problems. Find out your rights and responsibilities and try to resolve disputes with the lessor/agent directly. If this does not work the RTA’s dispute resolution service may be able to help. If it remains unresolved you may be able to take the matter to the Queensland Civil and Administrative Tribunal (QCAT).
  • Extending your fixed term tenancy
    If you want to stay on under a new fixed term agreement, and there are no changes other than the end date, you and the lessor/agent should sign a letter or statement that includes the new date.
     If there is to be a change to any of the terms of the agreement then the lessor/agent will need to prepare a new written tenancy agreement. You and the lessor/agent must sign the new agreement before the old one ends. If there is a significant change (e.g. a rent increase you think is excessive) you can dispute it but only after you’ve signed the new agreement.
     If the end date of a fixed term agreement goes by without any contact between you and the lessor/agent, the agreement continues as a periodic agreement.
  • Moving out
  • Ending your fixed term or periodic agreement
    You cannot move out at the end of a fixed term agreement without giving notice.
     If you wish to leave you must give 14 days notice in writing. If the lessor/agent wants you to leave they must give you 2 months notice.
     You must continue to pay rent until you move out.
     You must leave the property in the same condition it was in before you moved in, fair wear and tear excepted. You may have to pay for carpet cleaning or pest control if they are included in the special terms of your tenancy agreement.
  • Breaking your tenancy agreement
    If you break the tenancy agreement (e.g. you decide to leave early), you are still responsible for compensating the lessor/agent for lost rent until another tenant can be found or until the tenancy ends. You may also be liable for other costs such as the cost of re-letting the property and advertising.
  • Exit condition report
    The Exit condition report (Form 14a) should be completed by you. It shows the condition of the property when you leave. If possible you should try to arrange a final inspection with your lessor/agent.
     The lessor/agent must complete their side of the report, sign it and return a copy to you within 3 business days of receiving it.
  • Getting your bond back
    You get your bond back at the end of the tenancy as long as no money is owed to the lessor/agent for rent, damages or other costs. You can apply to have your bond money returned on, or after, handover day. Providing the RTA with your forwarding address and bank account details will ensure your bond refund is not delayed.
  • If you and the lessor/agent agree at the end of the tenancy
    You and the lessor/agent must sign the Refund of rental bond (Form 4) and submit it to the RTA. The RTA will refund the bond as directed within a few days. The fastest way to get your bond back is to provide the RTA with your bank details so it can be deposited into the correct account.
  • If you and the lessor/agent disagree
    You or the lessor/agent can submit a bond refund form. The RTA will then send the other person a Notice of claim and a Dispute resolution request (Form 16). If the RTA does not receive a response within 14 days, the bond will be paid out, as directed, by whoever first lodged the bond refund form.
    If they do respond, the RTA dispute resolution service will try to help resolve the disagreement. If agreement is reached, you and the lessor/agent sign the bond refund form and the bond is paid out as agreed.
    If agreement is not reached, the person who lodged the dispute resolution request form can apply to QCAT for a decision. They must do so within 7 days and notify the RTA in writing of the QCAT application within the correct timeframe.
    If no QCAT application is lodged within 7 days, the RTA will pay the bond as directed by the person who first lodged the bond refund form.